Tuesday 2 October 2012

Size matters....


...at least, it does when it comes to hoops. Finding the right-sized hoop for you can make learning to hoop so much easier. As you progress, you learn to hoop with hoops of all weights and sizes, but beginners need a proper beginners' hoop.


People often think they should learn to hoop with a small, light hoop - but in fact the opposite is true. Many of the students I taught during the adult education week arrived at class with their $5 hoops from The Warehouse. "I could hoop when I was a kid," they said, "but now I can't." I gave them one of my beginners' hoops to try and within minutes most of them were hooping happily away. We had quite a collection of The Warehouse hoops propped up against the wall during that class!

Those little hoops are made for children, mostly. [I can hoop with them, but not easily.] If you're a beginning hooper - forget about them, or give them to your kids.

The generally accepted rule of thumb for a beginners' hoop is that when you stand it on the ground it should reach your tummy button, or just above. For most people a hoop between 99 and 106cm [39" and 42"] would be just fine. If you are very petite, you'll want something smaller, and if you're very curvy or very tall, you'll want something larger.

Why is it easier to learn with a big heavy hoop rather than a little light hoop? Well, that's getting into the realm of physics, which was never my strong point! So to put it simply, a big hoop turns more slowly around your body, giving you more time to make your moves. This is what you need as a beginner, as you imprint hooping into your muscle memory.

Happy hooping!

1 comment:

  1. well, it's been a while since i commented

    To an outsider a new hobby or interest is often hard to explain. Like my friend is massively interested in aircraft, a subject that means little to me - and yet I can respect his passion for it.

    So Hoop-dancing is your thing, it is making you happy, so long live hooping!

    After all, i can hardly talk - i play the Ukulele...

    ReplyDelete